The following information is for 3MT coordinators at their respective universities.
Ontario universities interested in participating must register by Thursday, January 17, 2019. The registration fee is $550 per school. You do not need to register your participant at this time, this registration is for each university to indicate their intention to participate and pay the registration fee.
- Register via iModules
- The registration link was emailed to Ontario Graduate Studies Deans and Provosts in mid-December
- Each Ontario university may register one (1) eligible participant in 3MT Ontario. That participant is determined by the winner of their respective university event. If they are unable to attend 3MT Ontario, the runner-up becomes eligible.
The deadline to submit participant information and supporting media to McMaster University is Wednesday, April 3. Required information and files include:
- Participant information:
- Contact information (email, cell phone number)
- Supervisor(s) name
- Proposed thesis or MRP title
- 3MT presentation title
- Brief profile (personal and/or research), preferably in the 3rd person and limited to 150 words or less
- Supporting media:
- Headshot photograph (original file size is preferred)
- 3MT slide (slide must be formatted as a 16:9 PDF file)
Note: Please submit all information via our electronic form at the conclusion of your internal event by April 3, 2019, and send all supporting media to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no guest rooms available on campus at this time. However, there are hotels close to campus. We have secured a room block for the competition, with a special group rate, at the Visitors Inn for April 16.
- $119 per room, per night plus HST, based on single occupancy
- An additional $10 fee per room, per night for double occupancy
- The block number is under “Ontario Three Minute Thesis Competition.”
- Call 1-800-387-4620 to book your room.
- Rooms must be booked by March 16, 2019, to ensure the room and the rate.
Other hotels available in downtown Hamilton that include:
- Sheraton Hamilton
- Staybridge Suites
- Homewood Suites
- Hamilton Plaza Hotel
Congratulations on your 3MT success!
The Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS) is pleased to host 3MT competitors for dinner on Tuesday, April 16, 2019. If you are planning to be in Hamilton the evening before the competition, we hope you will join us for food and good conversation.
Location: Dinner will be held at The Phoenix Craft House and Grill, a campus restaurant owned and operated by the McMaster University Graduate Student Association.
The Phoenix is located inside the Refectory Building at McMaster University.
Time: 6:00 pm
For more information or to RSVP, please contact Julia Colyar (email@example.com).
- Cover accommodation, travel, and meal expenses for their own competitors and University representative(s) (except for the post-competition lunch described below).
- Attend the post-competition lunch.
- Fully register for the competition by the deadline date.
- Provide the host institution with media contact information for their region.
- Provide the host institution with all required participant information by the deadline.
- Provide the host institution with their University’s logo and the URL for their main internal competition web page.
- Include a link to the Ontario 3MT website on their internal web pages.
- Ensure that all competitors meet the eligibility requirements of the competition.
- Ensure that all competitors understand and agree to abide by the rules of the competition.
- Ensure that all competitors understand that it is their responsibility to seek advice should they have concerns about intellectual property or confidentiality.
- Ensure that all competitors agree to be photographed, video-recorded, audio-recorded and/or transcripted, and that all competitors permit all of these to be presented in the public domain (e.g., in print, in audio, in video, on University websites, and on other social media sites).
- Agree that the presentations at the Ontario 3MT competition may be live streamed during the competition.
- Make all arrangements for the post-competition lunch for all competitors and their University representative (1 competitor + 1 University representative), judges, and VIPs (to be determined by Host university). Additional lunch tickets may be purchased for $40+HST each, and can be done by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Universities will be invoiced for the extra lunch tickets.
- Provide participating Universities with a list of nearby hotels/B&Bs with competitive rates, as well as recommended transit/parking options.
- Coordinate a dinner for all competitors and their University representative the night before the event, in partnership with the Council of Ontario Universities.
- Coordinate media coverage both locally and regionally.
- Select and liaise with all judges.
- Provide promotional materials for participating Universities’ use.
- Update the competition manual to assist future host Universities.
- Create a ‘host’ website for the Ontario competition.
- Run the competition in accordance with published guidelines, and post videos with closed captioning of all presentations on the ‘Host’ website.