Latest information and updates about COVID-19 (coronavirus) from McMaster University
Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster Logo McMaster logo

Graduate Studies

Teaching assistants and
research assistants-in-lieu

Many full-time graduate students at McMaster are offered roles as teaching assistants (TA) – or as research assistants-in-lieu – and contract employment income.

TA duties vary – contact your department for all details about your specific role – but normally include undergraduate teaching, such as leading tutorials, demonstrating labs, and marking assignments. Your TA responsibilities should not exceed 10 hours per week, plus three hours of training per term.

Funding as a TA/ research assistant-in-lieu depends on you fulfilling your employment obligations and maintaining satisfactory work performance, as stated in your letter of offer or employment contract.

Setting up or updating your banking information in Human Resources (HR)

If you are paid the following monies – Research Scholarship, TA, and/or RA in lieu of TA, you must complete the Employee Deposit form which is available at Working At McMaster.

The completed form must be delivered to the Human Resources (HR) Service Centre, located in the Campus Services Building (CSB), Room 202. CSB is Building 31 on the McMaster Campus Map.

If you don’t provide banking information, you will have to pick up your first cheque(s) from the following offices:

  • TA/RA in lieu employment payment: HR Service Centre office in Campus Services Building (CSB), Room 202

Quick Links and resources