In order to be eligible for the award candidates must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent residence, or international candidate for a Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Successfully completed a PhD between June 30, 2015 and June 30, 2019.
- Must be able to start a Postdoctoral position by July 1, 2019.
- Fellowship is tenable at McMaster University, where the Fellow is expected to pursue full-time postdoctoral study and research for the term of the fellowship.
Conditions of the award
- Tenable for 2 years
- For the Fellowship term, the total award will be $100,000 ($50,000), out of which the Fellow will be expected to pay all related travel, equipment, research and other expenses, as well as his/her own salary.
- The supervisor is required to pay for the benefits for the duration of the fellowship.
- No other paid employement or major academic award may be accepted during the term the fellowship is held.
Please see the full conditions for the H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship.
How to apply
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019
Supporting documentation for your application is to be submitted to your department by January 31, 2019.
Department Process – Action Required
Department graduate administrators will submit a PDF copy of their candidates completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, 2019.
A complete application will include the following:
- 2019 H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship Checklist
- 2019 H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship application form signed by the department chair
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant
- Official Graduate Transcripts with legends
- A full Statement of the proposed research program, including its expected impact, in non-technical terms (1 page maximum)
- A Personal Statement to be written by the applicant (2 pages maximum). The statement should summarize the proposed research project, highlight prop achievements, and include a brief summary of your rationale for selecting the supervisor with whom you wish to work. Also explain what impact receiving the H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship would have on your ability to complete this phase of your research career.
- TWO confidential letters of support sent directly by the authors to the supporting department graduate administrator. References must be provided by:
- The proposed research supervisor(s) –This letter must include a statement that the supervisor will pay for the applicant’s benefits if he or she wins the award.
- PhD supervisor (or most recent postdoctoral fellowship supervisor)