McMaster University is regarded as one of the premiere centres for Nuclear and Radiation Sciences and Engineering research and education. Specific areas of research include radiation biology, radioecology, radiochemistry and medical isotopes, body composition, detector development, health physics, dosimetry, neutron metrology, nuclear engineering, neutron radiography, neutron activation, bone and joint research.
The research programs at McMaster are built around a unique suite of major facilities, which includes a 5MW nuclear reactor, particle accelerators including Canada’s first biological microbeam, a high-level radioisotope laboratory facility and a preclinical imaging facility. Trainees can gain hands-on experience with cutting edge instrumentation while working with an outstanding group of technical and health physics support staff.
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident and international candidates are eligible
- The Fellowship is open to candidates who have/will have successfully completed their PhD degree requirements between June 30, 2017 and June 30, 2021.
- Candidates must be eligible to start a postdoctoral position by July 1, 2021.
- The Fellowship is tenable at McMaster University, where the Fellow is expected to pursue full-time postdoctoral study and research for the term of the Fellowship.
Conditions of the award
- The Fellowship is tenable for 2 years.
- For the Fellowship term, the total award will be $100,000 ($50,000 per year), out of which the Fellow will be expected to pay all related travel, equipment, research and other expenses, as well as his/her own salary.
- The supervisor is required to pay for the benefits for the duration of the fellowship.
- No other paid employment or major academic award may be accepted by the successful candidate during the term that the Fellowship is held unless approved by the university.
Please see the full conditions for the H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship.
How to apply
A complete application will include the following:
- 2021 H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship Checklist
- A completed 2021 H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship application form signed by the Department Chair
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant
- Official Graduate Transcripts with legends
- A full Statement of the proposed research program, including its expected impact, in non-technical terms (1 page maximum).
- A Personal Statement to be written by the applicant (2 page maximum). The statement should summarize the proposed research project, highlight prior achievements, and include a brief summary of your rationale for selecting the supervisor with whom you wish to work. Also explain what impact receiving the H.G. Thode Postdoctoral Fellowship would have on your ability to complete this phase of your research career.
- Two confidential letters of support sent directly by the authors to the supporting department’s graduate administrator. References must be provided by:
- The proposed research supervisor(s) – This letter must also include a statement that the supervisor will pay for the applicant’s benefits if he or she wins the award.
- PhD supervisor (or most recent postdoctoral fellowship supervisor).
Application Deadline – Department Process
Department graduate administrators will submit a single pdf copy of their candidate’s complete application to email@example.com by January 29, 2021.
Notification of results
All candidates will be notified by March 15, 2021.