Established in 2020, the DeGroote School of Business Graduate Awards for Indigenous Learners aims to address inequities in access for Indigenous learners and to assist in removing barriers. Up to five (5) awards will be offered each year (for entrance in the fall term) and can be applied through the normal length of the program. Awards will cover the full cost of tuition in a DeGroote MBA program, as well as, additional related expenses up to a maximum of $15,000 per academic year.
The award is tenable though the length of the program.
Incoming students to the MBA, MBA with Co-op, MBA Accelerated (Part-Time and Full-Time Program) and the Blended Learning Part-Time program are eligible to apply.
- Indigenous persons who self-identify as First Nations, Inuit, or Métis people in Canada
- Incoming or returning graduate students to DeGroote’s MBA programs:
- MBA Full-time (with or without co-op)
- Accelerated MBA
- Blended Learning Part-time MBA
- Demonstrated engagement in your Indigenous community and heritage
- Offer of admission or current enrolment in a DeGroote MBA program
- 1–2-page essay describing the influence your Indigenous heritage has on your volunteer activities, leadership opportunities, university program choice, career path, or other community involvement that is important to you.
- One letter of support from a non-family member, highlighting your engagement within your Indigenous community (e.g., Urban Indigenous community, Indigenous student community at your current institution, Home community/First Nation, etc.).
- Completed budget template
Overseen by a Selection Committee coordinated by McMaster’s Indigenous Student Services office
- Full cost of tuition in an MBA program in the DeGroote School of Business, that can be applied through the normal length of the degree.
- Access to annual support for related expenses up to a maximum of $15,000 per academic year, tenable throughout the normal length of the degree. Living expenses will be allotted in $5,000 installments at the start of each academic term. Incidental expenses can include:
- transportation to and from classes or residencies
- living/hotel accommodations (only for Blended Learning Part-Time MBA residencies)
- childcare expenses
- technology requirements (e.g. internet access)
- additional ancillary fees
How to apply
- Create a folder on your computer using the naming convention: Last Name_First Name
- Include the following documentation in your folder:
- Community Involvement Statement (1-2 pages, minimum 10-point font, 1.5 spacing)
- Reference Letter (on organizational letterhead, if applicable)
- Budget Template
- Convert the documentation to PDFs
- Save the PDF files using the below naming conventions:
- Last Name_Community Involvement Statement
- Last Name_Reference Letter
- Last Name_Budget Template
- Candidates upload completed application portion to MacDrive