Visit Back to Mac for the most up-to-date information about returning to campus.
Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Graduate Studies

Working in Canada

All individuals who work in Canada MUST HAVE a Social Insurance Number.

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada, no matter what the job. This means if you are a teaching assistant (TA), you must have a SIN.

To get your SIN, you can apply online. You cannot apply for your Social Insurance Number if you have not arrived in Canada.

NOTE: There is no fee to apply for your SIN.