In order to be eligible for the award candidates must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residence status.
- The Fellowship is open to candidates who have/will have successfully defended their PhD thesis no more than five years before the application deadline, or by December 31, 2019.
- Candidates must be eligible to start a postdoctoral position by December 31, 2019.
- The Fellowship is tenable at McMaster University, where the Fellow is expected to pursue full-time postdoctoral study and research for the term of the Fellowship.
- For the fellowship term, the total award will be $80,000, out of which the fellow will be expected to pay all related travel, equipment, research and other expenses, as well as his/her own salary.
- Fellows are expected to devote a minimum of 80% of their working time to research, with up to 20% of time available for teaching, if so desired. It is understood that teaching responsibilities would be arranged with, and reimbursed by, the host institution.
- No other paid employment or major academic award may be accepted by the successful candidate during the term that the Fellowship is held.
- Preference will be given to those whose financial resources are severely limited.
Please see full conditions of the E.B. Eastburn Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
Applicants with the assistance of their department/program will submit an electronic copy of the complete application to email@example.com by February 28, 2019.
Department Process – Action Required
Department chair or delegate is required to provide a Letter of Support. Please submit the Letter of Support to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the candidate, and the name of the competition in the email subject line.
- A complete application will include the following documentation (single sided):
- A completed E.B. Eastburn Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Form (current year)
- Curriculum vitae
- Original transcripts of academic graduate records
- An abstract of the research proposal (maximum 200 words) expressed in non-technical terms
- A full statement in non-technical terms (no more than 2 pages in length) of the proposed research program; including the impact of the proposed program
- A personal statement to be written by the applicant (no more than 1 page) in which the applicant explains what impact receiving the E.B. Eastburn Postdoctoral Fellowship will have on his or her ability to complete this phase of his or her research career
- Financial Need Statement (one page)
- THREE confidential letters of support sent directly by the authors to the School of Graduate Studies, (email@example.com) and must be received by the application deadline (February 28, 2019). Referees must include the name of the candidate, and the name of the competition. Referees must be:
- The proposed research supervisor(s)
- PhD supervisor
- Additional reference
- Letter of support from department chair or delegate
- Please download the E.B. Eastburn Application Checklist to ensure you have met all the requirements.