Latest information and updates about COVID-19 (coronavirus) from McMaster University
Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster Logo McMaster logo

Graduate Studies

Student guide to Service Requests

Service requests allow for changes in your student record, provided that the change request needs no additional approval from your program office or the School of Graduate Studies.

1. Examples of requests which currently need no additional approval.

  • Requesting a plan change/minor – where the degree remains the same e.g. changing from course based to project based
  • Requesting that a course be designated to a plan other than your primary active plan. For example you are enrolled as a full time PhD student as your primary active plan, but are also enrolled in a part time diploma. If you wish to designate a course towards your diploma, you should use the service request during the normal add period outlined in the Sessional Dates.

2. Examples of requests which cannot be processed via service requests.

  • Requesting a plan change – where the degree changes – e.g. Masters to PhD or MA to MSc
  • Requests for transfer credit
  • Requests for late/add drop of courses
  • Requests to Audit a course
  • Requests for leave of absences
  • Requests to change from full to part time
  • Requests to change from full to part time
  • Requests to withdraw from the program
  • Requests for full time off campus

Step-by-step guide for Service Requests

Step 1: Student initiates request in the Student Centre.

The service requests are accessed via the first page on the Student Centre under the academics drop down. The student should select service requests.

Step 2: Select “Create New Service Request”

Step 3: In the “Select Category”, choose Graduate Students – Service Requests.

Step 4: Under “Select a Service Request Type,” choose the appropriate request. For example, “Plan Change” if you are changing from course- to thesis-based Masters.

Remember to include the date that the change will come into effect – this usually coincides with the start of a term.

Step 5: Enter the Service Request Details and hit submit. The process is now complete.

During the processing, the request will be updated in your Student Centre and any ensuing communications will be posted in the same place.