What is a McMaster Student ID card?
Your ID card identifies you as a McMaster University student: it displays your student number, name, photo, and contains an encoded magnetic strip. You will be able to use this card to obtain a variety of university services.
Please note: your card remains the property of McMaster University and if you cease to be a McMaster student, the card must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.
Why do I need one?
Your McMaster Photo ID identifies you as a McMaster University student and permits you access to services on campus. In addition, you must present your student card in the School of Graduate Studies or Registrar’s Office to make inquiries about your personal academic record.
How do I get one?
To create your student card, please visit the Mosaic Student Centre (Personal Information > Demographic Data) to upload your photo.
To be considered acceptable, your uploaded photo must:
- be recent and similar to a passport photo (head shot only, looking straight into the camera)
- have a neutral or smiling expression
- be in colour, in focus and of good quality (scanned photos of your driver’s license, passport or health card are not acceptable)
- be on an uncluttered background and of you alone (no other people or animals permitted in photo)
- not contain props (i.e. hats, sunglasses or graduation caps)
Maximum file size of your photo must be 3MB or less to be successfully uploaded.
Uploaded photos not meeting the above criteria, will be deleted resulting in delays in receiving your student card.
Photo Troubleshooting Tips:
Having issues uploading?
- Check your file size. If your jpg image is too big, you will get a generic error message. The file should be less than 3MB in size. Try picking a different picture with a smaller file size or resize your image in Paint or Photoshop.
Please note: Currently, in-person campus services are not available. If you have lost your Mac ID card, please contact the School of Graduate Studies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if it’s lost or stolen?
If your card is lost or stolen report it immediately by phone or in person to the School of Graduate Studies (GH 212) or the MAC Express Centre (Commons 128) to have the card invalidated. To have a replacement ID card issued you must personally visit the School of Graduate Studies; a $30 fee is charged for a replacement.
If you have reported your ID card lost or stolen and find your card prior to receiving a replacement, you must personally visit the School of Graduate Studies to present your card and have it reinstated. If you have a Campus Store account or a Hospitality Services account, you will need to visit the MAC Express Centre or Campus Store to have your accounts reactivated.
Please contact the School of Graduate Studies for our policies on damaged, faded, or non-operational cards. Photographs can be updated at the discretion of the Graduate Studies staff.
Please ensure you bring photo ID in order to pick up your student card in person.