Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Graduate Studies

Name Change

Please check the legal name McMaster has recorded for you by reviewing your name in the Mosaic Student Centre.

Edits to names and legal name changes

To request a formal name change or have a minor edit completed, please download the Request to Record Change of Name (PDF) and email to the form and a true copy of one of the following original documents in support of your request:

  • name change certificate,
  • birth certificate,
  • current passport,
  • marriage certificate, or
  • current driver’s license.

Preferred name changes:

You can add a preferred name in the Mosaic Student Centre > Names section.

Please note: adding a preferred name does not change the legal name on file, but it does inform instructors for the class list.

Graduating students

The last day for a name change or edit to ensure your diploma is printed correctly for the next convocation will be posted here. Please note: the name on your diploma will be the legal name we have on record for you.

Name changes for trans-identified students

In support of our trans-identified students, a name change may be requested without legal documentation. You are welcome to email for assistance.