Value of awards
For the 2020-21 academic year the COU will offer up to: three one-year awards at the master’s level, three renewable one-year awards at the doctoral level, and two one-year awards at the postdoctoral level.
- Master’s Award – $25,000 plus $1,000 research allowance ($8,333/term beginning September 1, 2020)
- Doctoral Award – $35,000 plus $2,000 research allowance ($11,666/term beginning September 1, 2020)
- Postdoctoral Award – $50,000 plus $5,000 research allowance ($4,166/month beginning September 1, 2020)
McMaster can submit two applications per award level (Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral) for a total of six applications.
Award eligibility and conditions
- All applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada as of the application deadline date (January 31, 2020).
- To be eligible for a master’s award, an applicant must be registered as a full-time student in a master’s program at an Ontario university at the beginning of the award period (i.e., fall 2020), and must remain registered as a full-time student throughout the term of the award; a master’s student remains eligible until the end of the sixth term of full-time study.
- To be eligible for a doctoral award, an applicant must be registered as a full-time student in a doctoral program at an Ontario university at the beginning of the award period (i.e., fall 2020) and must remain registered as a full-time student throughout the term of the award; a doctoral student remains eligible until the end of the 15th term of full-time study.
- To be eligible for a postdoctoral award, an applicant must be engaged in full-time research at an Ontario university at the time of taking up the award (i.e., September 1, 2020), and must have completed all requirements for the doctoral degree by May 31, 2020 and normally no earlier than January 31, 2017). In cases where an applicant completed all requirements for the doctoral degree before this date, an explanation (e.g., childrearing responsibilities) must accompany the application.
- Holders of Women’s Health Scholars Awards are precluded from holding any other major award during the term of this award.
- Application Instructions for Students:
Each applicant must submit to firstname.lastname@example.org the following documents as one PDF:
- The completed application form.
- A curriculum vitae (including information concerning the eligibility criteria).
- A statement of no more than 1,000 words describing the research to be undertaken during the period of graduate or postdoctoral study, and a non-technical summary of no more than 500 words, both written by the applicant.
- The candidate must also provide transcripts and ensure they arrive at the School of Graduate Studies no later than Monday, December 2, 2019:
- For Master’s and Doctoral applicants all undergraduate and graduate transcripts, if applicable. These must be official transcripts, sent directly by the Registrar’s office of the issuing university.
- The transcripts are NOT part of the electronic application, they are sent separately to the McMaster University’s School of Graduate Studies in sealed envelopes by the issuing university.
- Mailing address for transcripts:
- McMaster University, SGS–Scholarships
1280 Main Street West, GH 212
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4L8
- McMaster University, SGS–Scholarships
- Confidential letters from two assessors for Master’s and Doctoral applicants, and four assessors for Postdoctoral applicants. For postdoctoral applications, two of the assessors must not have been associated with the applicant as a supervisor, a member of the applicant’s supervisory committee, or a co-author; and are, if at all possible, not at the university at which the applicant was a doctoral student.
- The letters of appraisal of an applicant for any award (master’s, doctoral or postdoctoral) should focus on an evaluation of the applicant’s research to date, and on the research the applicant proposes to undertake during the period of the award, paying particular attention to the selection criteria. For more information about the selection criteria, please see page 6 of the 2020-21 annoucement.
- All applicants must ask for the appraisals to be transmitted electronically directly to the Dean of Graduate Studies at email@example.com by the application deadline of Monday, December 2, 2019.