Visit Back to Mac for the most up-to-date information about returning to campus.
Skip to McMaster Navigation Skip to Site Navigation Skip to main content
McMaster logo

Graduate Studies

McMaster Student ID Card

Your ID card identifies you as a McMaster University student. You will be able to use this card to obtain a variety of university services.

Please note: your card remains the property of McMaster University and if you cease to be a McMaster student, the card must be returned to the Office of the Registrar.

Why do I need one?

Your McMaster Photo ID identifies you as a McMaster University student and permits you access to services on campus. You must present your student card in the School of Graduate Studies or Registrar’s Office to make inquiries about your personal academic record.

How do I get one?

Newly admitted students must upload a passport type photo (head shot) in Mosaic Student Centre > Personal Information > Demographics. Once you have completed your enrolment, your ID card will be produced.

Photo requirements

To be considered acceptable, your uploaded photo must:

  • be recent and similar to a passport photo (head shot only, looking straight into the camera)
  • have a neutral or smiling expression
  • be in colour, in focus and of good quality (scanned photos of your driver’s license, passport or health card are not acceptable)
  • be on an uncluttered background and of you alone (no other people or animals permitted in photo)
  • not contain props (i.e. hats, sunglasses or graduation caps)

Maximum file size of your photo must be 3MB or less to be successfully uploaded.

Uploaded photos not meeting the above criteria, will be deleted resulting in delays in receiving your student card.

Photo Troubleshooting Tips:

Having issues uploading?

  • Check your file size. If your jpg image is too big, you will get a generic error message. The file should be less than 3MB in size. Try picking a different picture with a smaller file size or resize your image in Paint or Photoshop.

Photo Upload button not active?

  • Call the Registrar’s Office (905-525-9140 ext 24796) during business hours for assistance.

What if it’s lost or stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen report it immediately by phone or in person to the Registrar’s Office or the MAC Express Centre (Commons 128) to have the card invalidated. To have a replacement ID card issued you must personally visit either the Office of the Registrar or the MAC Express Centre: a $30.00 fee is charged for a replacement.

If you have reported your ID card lost or stolen and find your card prior to receiving a replacement, you must personally visit either the Office of the Registrar or MAC Express Centre to present your card and have it reinstated. If you have a Campus Store account or a Hospitality Services meal plan you will also have to visit the MAC Express Centre or Campus Store to have your accounts reactivated.

Replacement cards

Please contact the Office of the Registrar for our policies on damaged, faded, or non-operational cards. Photographs can be updated at the discretion of the Registrar’s Office staff.

Please ensure you bring photo ID in order to pick up your student card in person.

Where can I use my card on Campus?

Library Card: The bar code on the card will enable you to borrow materials through the McMaster Library system.

University Campus Store: Your card can be used as a charge card at the Campus Store after you have completed a Credit Application and Agreement (found at any checkout).

Food Services: You may elect to put money on their student card to be used at on-campus and select off-campus dining locations. Please contact Hospitality Services for more information